The pitter patter of tiny feet isn’t children…
Identifying the Presence of Rats in Indiana, Michigan, Ohio, and Illinois
- New droppings are shiny and resemble putty in appearance.
- Old feces are hard and crumbly
- Gnaw Marks
- Mice: holes are 1-2 mm in width and small and clear cut.
- Rats: holes are 4 mm in width and big with rough torn edges
- Urine Pillars
- Accumulations of urine form “urine pillars.”
- The chemicals in rodent urine have a very distinct odor; with large infestations, you can easily smell it.
- Rub Marks
- When dirt in the environment combines with oils in their skin, rub marks are left when rodents travel along walls.
- If marks smear you know they are fresh.
- Rodent Burrows
- Norway rats nest in burrows.
- Burrows are normally 4-5 feet in the ground in areas where there is protective vegetation.
Since rats are warm-blooded, they look for shelter starting end of September until summer reappears. Houses, barns, or commercial buildings will make a fine winter home for these pests. Arrow Services provides different treatment options to help protect you from them. See our “Checking in with Chuck” video for preparations on how to keep them out of your home or place of business.
Benefits and Features
- Eliminates rats from your home or place of business.
- Protects your family from dangerous pests such as fleas, ticks, and mites. This creature carries diseases that are transmittable to humans and animals.
- Nearly 20% of the world’s food supply is consumed by rats.
- Rats can cause property damage such as house fires.